Plex-XML Community Edition (Start)
- By following the next steps you should be able to deploy and run our tutorial application on your local PC.
- All necessary applications like the Tomcat servlet engine and the MySQL database will run locally on your PC. No external server is involved.
Before you start
Before you can start you need to ...
- Install Plex (7.0 incl. PTF >= 38.001)
- Install Java runtime environment ( >=1.6)
- Install Apache Tomcat ( >=7.0)
- Install MySQL (>=5.0.36) ( Typical installation should be sufficient)
- the only configuration change I have done is to select the "Multilingual Character Set" as default
- Install Eclipse (>= 3.7 recommended, but not necessary)
- Install the JDBC driver
If one of these components is not running properly you may find additional help at our tutorial.
Run your first Plex-XML application
- Download the PCE.ZIP file and unzip it
- Read the Plex-XML community edition license which is available here and in the ZIP file and make sure it fits to your needs.
- Import the enclosed Eclipse-Project to your Eclipse workspace.
- Get the tutorial.sql MySQL file from the database folder and restore it to your MySQL database ( the following code is an example using the mysql command line client):
- mysql -u<adminuser> -p<adminpassword>
- create database tutorial; -- creates the database
- grant all privileges on tutorial.* to xxx@localhost identified by 'xxx'; -- creates a user 'xxx' with all privileges on the new database
- use tutorial; -- switch to database
- source tutorial.sql; -- create tables and views and import some base data
- Open the "default.ant.properties" file in the root directory of the project and adjust the "tomcat.home=C:/Java/Tomcat70" to your tomcat home directory. Be aware to use the Slash ("/") instead of the BackSlash("\")
- Open the "deployment/localtomcat.properties" file and adjust the JDBC settings with your configuration.
- Drag the "build.xml" file to your Ant perspective and execute the "deployLocal" task.
- Open your first Plex-XML application http://127.0.0.1:8080/plexxml/aServlet :-)
- Smile and start to write the web application you always dreamed of.
Any hick ups so far?
Please check our page of most common Plex-XML rookie problems